Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No time

Ah, I was so thinking that this blog would help me get my act together and really work more diligently on my projects, if only out of an obligation to post. However, last night was a perfect example of why that does not often happen as I plan. I am a social worker and I work in the domestic violence field, so my days are often long and unpredictable. I have several job titles right now, including Supervising Case Manager at the shelter I work at, Prevention/Education Services Coordinator in which I do presentations to students (elementary through college) and community members, Outreach Cooredinator in which I try to make sure we distribute any materials to agencies and doctor's offices that let people know about our services, and the Family Safety Advocate. The last one is the hardest, but most rewarding. I work with our local Department of Social Services. They will identify a family that is currently experiencing domestic violence or still being impacted by it from the past and I work with them in their home. Sometime I do couples counseling, sometimes its anger management, sometimes its education of post-traumatic stress disorder, and sometimes its working with kids whose behavior has changed due to the domestic violence. I like the work, but sometimes I come home and simply have no energy, even to do mindless things like knitting or spinning. Well, I guess I can only hope things will slow down toward the end of the week so I can try to get stuff done again, wish me luck!

1 comment:

Digitalgran said...

I enjoyed reading about your work Erica. A very stressful but worthwhile job I would imagine.