Sunday, November 4, 2007

Creative Funk

I have been in such a funk lately, I can't seem to snap out of it. I was all excited to post some photos of work that I did while I had a week off, but then the blog site wouldn't let me post anything that day and I haven't had any ambition since. Anyway, here are some photos of one project I was working on back in the beginning of October:



I have most of Maggie Grey's books and I wanted to actually try using some of her techniques rather than just drooling over them as eye candy. So, I took a piece of cotton velvet and painted with with greens, blues and violets in Dye-Na-Flow paints and let it dry overnight. Unfortunately, I didn't have the best quality fabric, because the thing continues to shed all over, but I digress. Anyway, I bonded Wunderunder to it and put a lilac chiffon scarf on top, which I then distressed with a heat gun to make a lacy texture. Then I added some silver transfoil to it. It was pretty, but I was afraid the thing was going to fall apart on me. I embellished with my babylock and that made me feel like it was a little more attached. I also embellished some green and purple scraps of wool for a different texture. Also, I saw a technique about crocheting single crochet strands and couching them to fabric. I used some odds and ends yarn I had to make different colors strands and added them to the piece. Now, the strands were just sticking up from the piece. So, I started doing free motion embroidery around it. Now, this was only my second attempt doing free motion, so I know it looks like a beginner did it. I haven't finished the piece yet, but I am feeling good about the way it is starting to look more cohesive. I plan to add some handstitching, but I am signed up to take two classes on stitches from Joggles.com, so I want to practice before I put it on the piece. Now, what wil I do with the fabric piece once its done? I have no idea, but at least I had fun experimenting with new techniques.

No comments: